RICHMOND, Va. – Aug. 15, 2023 – The MolinaCares Accord (“MolinaCares”), in collaboration with Molina Healthcare of Virginia (“Molina”), is announcing its Vision for Virginia initiative with an initial investment of over $1 million to improve health outcomes and build stronger communities.
“Every Virginia citizen should have access to the health resources needed to thrive,” said Virginia Secretary of Health and Human Resources John Littel. “I applaud MolinaCares’ efforts to expand upon the work of this administration and to provide support to communities in need.”
Virginians continue to face significant health care challenges, including high rates of obesity, heart disease, and diabetes. Some regions across the state, including southwest Virginia counties and Petersburg, show poor health care outcomes due to lack of access and funding for essential programs.
“Supporting local organizations that directly serve the commonwealth and play an instrumental role in improving the health and well-being of our residents is vital to Molina,” said Darrin Johnson, plan president of Molina Healthcare of Virginia. “We are honored to advance the work of our local community partners through this initiative.”
The MolinaCares Vision for Virginia supports more than 30 organizations dedicated to improving the health of underserved populations across the commonwealth with a focus on access to care, health-related social needs, behavioral health, food security, as well as maternal and child health.
Organizations and initiatives include:
- Expanding CrossOver Healthcare Ministry’s community pharmacy, serving uninsured clients in the metro Richmond area;
- Working with Richmond Behavioral Health Foundation to support early education and development activities for children of mothers receiving behavioral health services;
- Collaborating with Cristo Rey School to sponsor low-income students in the Corporate Work Study program;
- Sponsoring WTVR’s If You Give a Child a Book campaign providing books to low-income students;
- Supporting the Magnolia Rose emergency shelter program for women who are victims of human trafficking;
- Funding for HopeTree Family Services’ Titmus Cottage, which provides temporary housing and resources for foster children;
- Supporting AIDNOW’s work to assist youth and families in the Hampton Roads area and provide necessary supplies and resources as they get ready for the school year;
- Collaborating with YMCA of Greater Richmond to support community programming, including a Social Needs Navigation initiative to address critical social determinants of health and well-being;
- Supporting the Healthy Kid Bucks program, giving children nutrition education and vouchers to spend on fresh produce at farmers markets throughout the commonwealth; and
- Working with The United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg to help fund the WomenRise program, which provides childcare scholarships for single mothers returning to school;
“CrossOver Healthcare Ministry, like many of MolinaCares’ partners, fills gaps in health care access,” said CrossOver CEO Julie Bilodeau. “It’s great to see the local organizations stepping up and meeting Virginia’s health care needs.”
Molina previously announced its MolinaCares Partnership for Petersburg initiative with an early investment of over $430,000 to improve access to care and community health for the city of Petersburg.
Learn more about the community-based organizations supported by MolinaCares here.
About The MolinaCares Accord:
Established by Molina Healthcare, Inc., The MolinaCares Accord oversees a community investment platform created to improve the health and well-being of disadvantaged populations by funding meaningful, measurable, and innovative programs and solutions that improve health, life, and living in local communities.
About Molina Healthcare of Virginia:
Molina Healthcare of Virginia has been providing government-funded, quality health care since 2017. The Company serves members through Medicaid and Medicare programs throughout Virginia. Molina Healthcare, Inc., a FORTUNE 500 company, provides managed healthcare services under the Medicaid and Medicare programs and through the state insurance marketplaces. Molina Healthcare served approximately 5.2 million members as of June 30, 2023, located across 19 states. For more information about Molina Healthcare, please visit molinahealthcare.com.